Delhi Greens wishes all its readers a very Happy Earth Day on this 22nd Day of April!
The celebration of Earth Day on April 22nd first began in the United States in 1970 and was the brainchild of Senator Gaylord Nelson, who had long pondered about finding a way to “put the environment into the political ‘limelight’ once and for all”.
The relevance of the day has only increased over the years so much so that it is only a matter of few days that every action of ours will be under strict environmental monitoring.
Here’s how you can celebrate the day and make a difference by initiating activities that will go a long way in saving this Planet and also the human race that depends on it. Save Earth to Save Humanity!
1. Plant Trees: Planting trees helps to reduce greenhouse gas emissions, clean pollution, secure soil in place to prevent erosion, and provide homes to a lot of biodiversity.
2. Learn more about the Environment: Earth Day is a good time to make a commitment to learning more about the environment and how you can help to protect it. Borrow some library books or go through the newspapers and read up on issues such as pollution, endangered species, water shortages, recycling, and climate change. Or, learn about a region you’ve never considered before, like the Arctic, the deserts, or the rainforests. Think about the issues that concern you the most and if you haven’t done so already, join a local group that undertakes activities to help protect the environment in your area.
3. Reduce, reuse and recycle all day long
4. Rid Litter: Rid litter from the neighbourhood. Many groups use the weekend of Earth Day to clear roadways, highways and neightborhood streets of litter that has accumulated since the last ‘Rid Litter’. It’s time we atleast have a look at the Yamuna and take some green action.
5. Teach others about the Environment. Teachers, professionals, students, in fact anyone who cares about the environment and is willing to teach others, should provide environmental lessons for others.
7. Remember: Every day is Earth Day. Anything to help our environment is a perfect thing to do on Earth Day and every day. Don’t restrict yourself to just one day a year; learn about how you can make a difference to environmental protection all the time. And put it into practise – every day!
The Planet needs our help, so it can help us. If we turn our back, we will not live to see the day when the Planet does the same. Inaction is NO LONGER an option.