Avashya Foundation, the Corporate Social Responsibility (CSR) arm of Allcargo Logistics (a Mumbai-based leading integrated logistics solutions provider in India), flagged off a tree plantation drive under the foundation’s Maitree initiative. The initiative took place in association with NGOs like Light of life trust (LOLT), Nirmala Niket College of Social Work and Maharashtra State Rural Livelihood Mission (MSRLM).
- Maitree aims to plant 1.41 lakh fruit bearing trees in the span of 20 days
- In the years 2015 and 2016, Maitree has reached out to a large number of families from tribal and underdeveloped regions. It has planted 2,39,000 fruit bearing trees. As a continued endeavour, the initiative aims at planting approximately 1,41,000 fruit bearing trees within a span of 20 days across 66 villages in Maharashtra
- The Maitreee drive is being carried out in the rural areas of Maharashtra including Raigad, Palghar and their sub-districts
Accomplishing the Task
- Avashya Foundation, which has been pioneering corporate and social responsibility initiatives, will work together with over 1,700 farmers over the next 20 days in order to achieve the objective
- Under Maitree, the foundation also works closely with the farmers of the region to inculcate productive agricultural practices and promote inclusive community development
- Badges of Van-Mitra (friends of trees) were given to each and every beneficiary. They would be ambassadors of conserving the environment at the village level
Commenting on the occasion, Ms. Arathi Shetty, Non Executive Director of Allcargo and Avashya Foundation said, “Environmental sustainability is emerging to be one of the important factors across businesses globally. These initiatives are an excellent way to reduce the carbon footprint and are also a very good way to pay back to the society. I would like to thank our partner associations for their support and would like to congratulate the farmers and their families for their enthusiasm and participation in the tree plantation drive.”
Maitrii and Nipun: Along with Maitree, Ayvashya Foundation has another key project Nipun. Maitree aims to improve the environment, by increasing the green cover in the country, while at the same time offering a fruitful source of livelihood to the tribal and economically backward communities of Maharashtra and Karnataka. Nipun aims at skill development for youth from the drought affected areas of Maharashtra. The training received from Nipun helps youngsters build their careers, enabling them to lead a financially stable life.
Maitree aims at planting 1 million trees in the next 5 years.
Image by H. Sarpotdar