The National Biodiversity Authority (NBA), a statutory body under Ministry of Environment Forest & Climate Change (MoEFCC) is inviting citizens to a logo contest for biodiversity conservation. The selected logo/ mark will be used as a mark on products to certify that the manufacturer have complied with Access and Benefit Sharing (ABS) obligations under Indian law. Participants of the logo contest shall submit a design which is capable of being used as a mark on products.
About National Biodiversity Authority
The NBA was established in 2003 to implement the provisions of the Biological Diversity Act, 2002. It is headquartered in Chennai, Tamil Nadu. As a Statutory Body, NBA performs facilitation, regulatory and advisory functions for the Government of India on issues of conservation, sustainable use of biological resources and fair and equitable sharing of benefits arising out of the use of biological resources.
NBA regulates activities like research, commercial utilization, bio-survey and bio-utilization of biological resources and/or associated knowledge occurring in India. It also grants approval for persons seeking Intellectual property rights for inventions based on Indian biological resources or associated knowledge.
Companies, institutions and individuals that access biological resources and/or associated knowledge for developing products and obtaining patents shall seek NBA approval before undertaking such activities. At the time of granting approval, NBA would insist that a certain percentage of the profit that the company or individual reaps shall be shared with NBA.
The benefits shared in such a manner would be used for conservation and promotion of biodiversity, to incentivize communities involved in conservation of the resource and socioeconomic development of areas from where the resource was accessed.
About the Logo Contest
NBA is now planning to develop a logo/ mark which the companies or individuals can affix on their product for which they have obtained approval from NBA.
Participants are required to conceptualize and design a mark/logo such that:
- The mark be distinctive and may convey the three objectives of the Biological Diversity Act, 2002, viz. conservation of biological diversity, sustainable use of its components and fair and equitable sharing of benefits arising out of its utilization.
- The mark shall dignify the concept of ‘Access and Benefit Sharing (ABS)’ which denotes the equitable sharing of benefits by the users (Companies/ Institutions/ Industry) to the providers (Communities/ Farmers/ Traditional Knowledge Holders) of biological resources.
- The mark can be used by companies to advertise that their product is based on a biological resource and/ or associated knowledge from India.
- The mark will be certifying that the particular product on which it is affixed is complying with ‘Access and Benefit Sharing (ABS)’ requirements under Indian law.
- Consumers can choose products with this mark and can be assured that the product was manufactured using biological resources and/or associated knowledge from India and that it has met the ABS requirements under Indian law.
The designer of the selected Logo will receive a cash prize of Rs. 50,000/- (Rupees fifty thousand only) and would be required to transfer copyright of the design to National Biodiversity Authority. Note that the prize money will be payable after deduction of TDS. Detailed Terms and Conditions can be read by clicking here.
The last date for submitting entries is 21 January, 2019 till 06.00 pm. All submissions have to be made only through the MyGov website, at the following URL: https://www.mygov.in/node/277731
For further information, contact:
Mr. Narendran. T
Technical Officer (IPR)
Tel: 044-22542777/ 1075