Weekly Environmental News Update for Week 12, 2021
Weekly environmental news update from across different media networks for week 12 (March 22 to 28) 2021.
- Delhi Cabinet approves proposal to engage 300 fully electric air-conditioned buses
The Delhi Cabinet on Friday approved a proposal to engage 300 low-floor fully electric air-conditioned buses by the transport corporation under the “Faster Adoption and Manufacturing of Hybrid and Electric Vehicles in India Phase-II” scheme
- 200 water bodies to be cleaned before monsoon: DJB chairman Satyendar Jain
Delhi Water Minister and Chairman of DJB Satyendar Jain on Saturday said about 200 water bodies and lakes will be cleaned before monsoon
- Delhi: Notice to DJB, IGL and irrigation dept for ‘encroaching’ Asola Sanctuary area
The notice was issued earlier this month, officials said, for an apparent violation of the Wildlife Protection Act 1972 by the agencies.
- Delhi saved 334 MW electricity during Earth Hour, say Discom officials
Earth Hour is an annual international event by the World Wildlife Fund that urges households and businesses to turn off non-essential lights for one hour to raise awareness towards the need to take action on climate change.
- Delhi’s ambitious road revamp plan hits green ministry roadblock
Ring Road also features in the original list of areas identified as deemed forest land in an affidavit submitted to the Supreme Court by the Delhi forest department in 1997 in the TN Godavarman Thirumulpad v Union of India case.
- Delhi zoo to bring three more tigers
The Delhi zoo may soon get three tigers from Chennai and Nagpur for “breeding purposes” under an animal exchange programme, officials have said.
- Nearly 218 people die each year in Delhi from thermal power plant fumes: Study
To arrive at the estimates of annual deaths caused by power plant pollution, researchers took the actual emissions from these 12 power plants in 2018 and assessed their impact on a city’s population
- IIT Delhi Develops ‘HOPE’ Electric Scooter With 20 Paise Per Kilometer Running Cost
‘HOPE’ gives a top speed of 25 km. Along with this, it also falls in the discount category available for e-vehicles and does not require a driving license or registration for driving.
- IIT Delhi to build atmospheric observatory at a cost of Rs.125 crore
This first of its kind observatory in the heart of the Indo-Gangetic belt will enable researchers to make new discoveries and help find sustainable solutions to some of the country’s pressing problems such as severe air pollution, erratic monsoon, IIT Delhi said.
- Recover 50% of environmental compensation from Piramal: NGT tells PCB
In a move that would be a warning to industries that are polluting the environment, the National Green Tribunal, New Delhi, directed the Pollution Control Board of Telangana to collect 50% of environmental compensation impugned within a period of two months from Piramal Enterprises.
- IMD launches portal with India’s century-old meteorological data
IMD launches Climate data Service Portal on the occasion of World Meteorological Day on March 23 to aid climate change mitigation in India.
- India to launch supercharged push for global electric vehicle players
India plans to offer fresh incentives to companies making electric vehicles as part of a broad auto sector scheme it expects to attract $14 billion of investment over five years, according to industry sources and a document seen by Reuters.
- Arctic warming is causing heat waves in India: study
Heat waves, excessively hot weather accompanied by high humidity during the summer season of April and May are increasing and causing unprecedented number of deaths across the country in recent years.
With inputs from Kavita.