Weekly Environmental News Update for Week 23, 2021
Weekly environmental news update from across different media networks for Week 23 (June 7 to June 13) 2021.
- Van Mahotsav in capital from Jun 26 to Jul 11, says minister
Environment minister Gopal Rai has said that Van Mahotsav would be organised from June 26 to July 11.
- Delhi Jal Board defers order to levy fine for not having RWH system till Sept 30
The Board has also deferred its order regarding mandatory rain water harvesting for building owners before granting new water connection for the next six months.
- Tree felling in Alaknanda: Forest dept notice to SDMC
After an environmental activist flagged violations at Alaknanda’s Mandakini Enclave, Delhi forest and wildlife department has issued a notice to South Delhi Municipal Corporation, the land-owing agency.
- Master Plan aim: Green Capital, 24×7 economy
In terms of land management, the draft MPD-2041 focuses on reviving old neighbourhoods (unauthorised colonies, urbanised villages), allowing mixed-use development, providing affordable rental and small-format housing.
- Industries cannot operate without prior environment clearance: NGT
Industries cannot operate without prior environment clearance, the National Green Tribunal has said while holding that the State has no power to exempt the requirement.
- 90% of India’s biodiversity hotspots lost, shows new statistical analysis
A report published by Centre for Science and Environment pointed out that 16 states have witnessed a significant rise in number of forest fires as well as warmer than usual winter, monsoon and post-monsoon seasons.
- CSE study identifies 14 new pollution hot spots in Delhi-NCR, points to local pollution
The CSE also said that lockdowns improved the air quality in Delhi-NCR this year as well but not as effectively as last year due to the 2021 curbs being shorter and lesser stringent.
- Budget constraint cannot justify violation of citizens’ right to clean environment: NGT
The National Green Tribunal has slammed the civic authorities in Rajasthan’s Bikaner over a report on a sewage treatment plant, saying a plea of budget cannot be taken to justify continued violation of the Water Act and the citizens’ right to clean environment.
- India may have lost 3% of its GDP due to global warming
Titled The Costs of Climate Change in India, the report states that India is already experiencing the consequences of 1 degree C of global warming.
- Sunita Narain appointed to climate action group
Noted environmentalist Sunita Narain has been appointed to an international advisory group for climate action by Swedish Minister for International Development Cooperation Per Olsson Fridh.
- Ruskin Bond curates new poem to lament environmental loss in Dehradun, Mussoorie
Ruskin Bond’s new poem ‘Dirge of Dehradun’ laments the current environmental degradation in ‘the twin cities of happiness’ that is Dehradun and Mussoorie.