Weekly Environmental News Update for Week 9, 2022
Weekly environmental news update from across different media networks for Week 9 (February 28 to March 6) 2022.
- Delhi’s February air cleanest in the last seven years
Delhi logged an average AQI of 225 throughout February, cleaner than previous low of 241 recorded in February 2020, records maintained by the pollution watchdog showed.
- In 2019, average PM2.5 level in Delhi thrice the safe limit, finds study
The study also found Delhi’s urban areas were more polluted than its semi-urban and rural locations, though the difference was only marginal.
- Delhi government prepares draft policy for making PUC certificate mandatory at fuel pumps
Delhi govt prepared draft policy for making Pollution Under Control Certificates mandatory.
- Indians losing 1.51 years of life on average to pollution: Health Effects Institute study
On an average Indians lose 1.51 years of their life to air pollution, according to a report by the US-based Health Effects Institute.
- Industrial units in Ghaziabad to file pleas against fuel conversion
About 390 air polluting industrial units with natural gas infrastructure will need to convert to cleaner piped natural gas or biomass fuel supply by September 30 in Ghaziabad district.
- ₹1,298.38 crore collected as green cess from vehicles entering Delhi
Delhi municipal corporations have collected over ₹1298.38 crore in the form of green tax– environmental compensation cess from commercial vehicles entering the city.
- Water treatment plant in north Delhi to help clean Yamuna
Delhi government inaugurated a wastewater treatment plant at the Coronation Pillar site in north Delhi on Saturday.
- Delhi: Reservoir in Mayapuri to tackle water crisis
The Delhi government on Thursday inaugurated an underground reservoir in Mayapuri, which is likely to help in reducing the water crisis in the area.
- Leachate spill in Aravalli forest: Ggm civic body yet to respond to HSPCB notice
Two months after HSPCB sent the Municipal Corporation of Gurugram a show-cause notice regarding leachate spillage in the Aravalli forest, the corporation is yet to respond, officials of the pollution body said.
- North body shuts 311 garbage collection points
With the project of phasing out of garbage collection points in its final leg, the North Delhi Municipal Corporation has shut a total of 311 dhalaos and three-walled open structures.
- MSME Ministry organises summit to promote plastic recycling and waste management
MSME Ministry inaugurated the International Summit on Plastics Recycling and Waste Management.
- PM Modi seeks innovative solutions for e-waste management, electric mobility
Prime Minister Modi invited ideas from the Information and Technology and Electronics sector for e-waste management, electric mobility solutions, and circular economy.
- Human rights commission seeks report from Bihar govt on water contamination
The National Human Rights Commission has taken suo motu cognizance of a report referring to the bad quality of water in Bihar.
- ZSI red flags four fish species, two turtle species and 12 reptiles for conservation
The ZSI has recently red flagged four to five fish species, two turtle species and a dozen reptile species as endangered and in need of conservation.
- UN environment assembly resolves to end plastic pollution
Welcoming the move, India said it was on its insistence that the principle of “national circumstances and capability while taking actions to address plastic pollution” was included in the resolution text.
- Namibia wants ivory trade clause in deal for sending cheetahs to India
According to officials from both sides, New Delhi is unlikely to be able or want to meet the condition.
- Study finds impact of climate change on bird traits
A new study has found that climate change is majorly responsible for long-term trait changes in European birds.
- UK not prepared for climate impacts, warns IPCC expert
Sewage works, airports and seaports among key infrastructure at risk, says intergovernmental report.