Weekly Environmental News Update for Week 25, 2022
Weekly environmental news update from across different media networks for Week 25 (June 20 to June 26) 2022.
- Heat, pollution hurt health of outdoor workers in city: Study
Prolonged exposure to extreme temperatures and high pollution severely impacts people’s health in the national capital, a study led by scientists from the Indian Institute of Technology Tirupati has found.
- Exposure to air pollution increases death risk by 20%: Study
Exposure to above-average levels of outdoor air pollution increased the risk of death by 20 per cent, and the risk of death from cardiovascular disease by 17 per cent, according to a recent study.
- NHRC issues notice to Centre on “air pollution cutting life expectancy”
NHRC issued notice to the Union Environment Ministry over a recent international report that found life expectancy in India was being reduced by five years due to air pollution.
- Delhi bans entry of heavy vehicles from 1 Oct to curb pollution
The Delhi government banned entry of medium and heavy vehicles in the city from 1 October, 2022 to 28 February, 2023 to keep pollution in check this winter.
- With water woes yet to ease, Delhi pins hopes on Haryana
Despite the government announcing this year’s summer action plan, water supply continues to remain affected in the city.
- Yamuna River Pollution: New study to be conducted to ascertain reason behind froth in the river
Delhi government will conduct a study to identify pollution hotspots, including colonies and industrial areas, responsible for frothing in the Yamuna River, officials have said.
- Municipal Corporation of Delhi to rejuvenate 20 ponds under first phase of Amrit Sarovar Mission
The Municipal Corporation of Delhi will rejuvenate 20 ponds across the city under the first phase of Amrit Sarovar Mission, an official statement said on 25 June.
- Single-use plastic ban in Delhi: Awareness drive from July 1
The Delhi government will launch a campaign from July 1 to encourage people to comply with the ban on 19 single-use plastic items in Delhi.
- Delhi: Rs 5.9-crore fine on railway authority for felling 900 trees in Dwarka
The forest department has imposed a fine of Rs 5.9 crore on Rail Land Development Authority for alleged illegal felling or removal of 990 trees from a site in Dwarka.
- Adopt standard list of approved fuels: CAQM to NCR states
To reduce air pollution, CAQM on Friday said it has directed NCR states to adopt a standard list of approved fuels that can be used for various purposes.
- Assam floods: Situation grim, Silchar submerged for sixth day; IAF conducts flood relief operations
The flood situation in Assam remained grim on Saturday with the death count rising to 118
- Climate change a factor in ‘unprecedented’ South Asia floods
Scientists say climate change is a factor behind the erratic and early rains that triggered unprecedented floods in Bangladesh and northeastern India.
- World’s largest freshwater fish found in Cambodia
Scientists say the world’s largest recorded freshwater fish, a giant stingray, has been caught in the Mekong River in Cambodia.
- COP 15: Canada to replace China as venue for UN biodiversity summit
A long-delayed UN biodiversity summit will be held in Canada this year rather than China as originally planned.