Weekly Environmental News Update for Week 16, 2022
Weekly environmental news update from across different media networks for Week 16 (April 18 to April 24) 2022.
- Air pollution has emerged as the second biggest cause of disease in India
Air pollution is currently the second-leading cause of sickness in the country, accounting for 10% of the disease burden.
- Anti-pollution plan: 1.9k sites checked so far in Delhi
Delhi environment minister said the government had so far inspected 1,915 sites as part of its anti-open burning campaign.
- Switch over to environment friendly methods of cremation: NGT tells States
While flagging air pollution, the tribunal also directed them to explore viability of electric or PNG crematorium.
- India to get world’s longest electric vehicle highway by end of 2022
India is likely to get the world’s longest electric vehicle highway by the end of 2022.
- Implement all green protection steps: SC to expressway panel
The Supreme Court asked the reconstituted expert panel to implement all environment protection measures recommended.
- Delhi Jal Board’s summer plan to meet extra demand
Delhi Jal Board has finalised its annual summer action plan for the national capital.
- NTPC ties up with Delhi Jal Board to convert waste into energy
In an endeavour to reduce the carbon footprint, NTPC Ltd, India’s largest integrated energy company has come together with DJB to utilise the sludge produced in the STPs of DJB.
- NGT panel to focus on ‘time bomb’ landfill cure
Raising concerns over the rampant fire incidents over the Ghazipur landfill site while calling them “time bombs”, the NGT constituted a joint committee to look into the matter.
- To prevent fires at Ghazipur landfill, Delhi to adopt ‘gas sucking system’ to absorb emissions of methane gas
A “gas sucking system” to absorb emissions of methane gas from landfill sites will be adopted at the Ghazipur landfill to deal with fire incidents.
- Another major fire breaks out at Delhi’s Ghazipur dumping yard; eight fire tenders at spot
There were eight fire tenders at the spot to bring the blaze under control.
- CPCB withdraws hazardous waste reuse notification
Under the Interim Policy of Rule 9, the industries in Gujarat were able to reuse the hazardous waste since one industry’s waste is another industry’s raw material.
- Zomato announces 100% ‘plastic neutral deliveries’ from this month
Online food delivery platform Zomato on Friday announced 100 percent ‘plastic neutral deliveries’ from this month.
- 91% Indian travellers want to travel more sustainably in 2022: Report
91 per cent of Indian travellers say that they want to travel more sustainably over the coming 12 months – a 15 per cent increase over the company’s 2021 data.
- Climate change triggering global collapse in insect numbers, says study
The new study, published in Nature, finds that climate-stressed farmland possesses only half the number of insects, on average, and 25 per cent fewer insect species than areas of natural habitat.