Weekly Environmental News Update for Week 23, 2022
Weekly environmental news update from across different media networks for Week 23 (June 6 to June 12) 2022.
- Pollution body bans coal use in Delhi, except by thermal power plants
The use of coal as fuel in industrial, domestic units will be banned in the National Capital Region from January 2023 but the ban wouldn’t apply thermal power plants.
- Delhi Environment Minister calls for joint action plan to fight air pollution
Delhi Environment Minister asked the Centre to create a joint action plan to fight air pollution in the capital.
- Delhi govt to collaborate with Denmark to improve water supply, air quality
The Delhi government has planned to join hands with Denmark to address the ongoing water scarcity in the city and improve road infrastructure.
- Men contribute more to air pollution than women: IISc study
A recent study by the Indian Institute of Science has shown that men are bigger contributors to air pollution than women.
- Water crisis in Delhi: Several parts of Capital left high and dry
According to DJB, the water levels of Yamuna at Wazirabad went down to record low of 667.6ft against the normal level of 674.5ft.
- Domestic hazardous waste a worry in Delhi
According to a report prepared by Delhi Pollution Control Committee, the capital generates a total of 2,944.7 MT/year of hazardous waste, which is released from 2,318 industries.
- 60% in India willing to pay a premium for sustainability products, reveals survey
At least sixty percent of consumers in India are willing to pay a premium for ‘sustainability products’, according to a new survey by consulting firm Bain & Company.
- Delhi govt launches green action plan for city
- Under the plan, more than 35 lakh samplings will be planted in the Capital this year, with the drive to officially begin next month.
Delhi: Engineered wetland will treat raw sewage from Maharani Bagh drain
- Officials at Delhi Development Authority’s Kalindi Biodiversity Park have started work on creating a constructed wetland to treat the raw sewage channelled from the Maharani Bagh drain.
Noida authority fells 30 trees on World Environment Day
- The Noida authority felled at least 30 fully-grown neem trees along the Noida-Greater Noida link road on World Environment Day, angering residents.
Two weeks after NGT order, Noida authority yet to remove concrete from around trees
- Two weeks after the National Green Tribunal banned concreting of roadside spaces across the city, the Noida authority is yet to begin removing concrete around trees.
- ‘Unscientific’: Centre rejects Environment Performance Index
The 2022 Environment Performance Index ranked India at the absolute bottom of 180 countries.
- CO2 concentration 50% higher than pre-industrial levels; climate meet begins
Carbon dioxide levels are now more than 50% higher than pre-industrial times, the World Meteorological Organisation said.
- Indian PM Narendra Modi launches ‘Lifestyle for the environment movement’
Through a video conferencing, Prime Minister Narendra Modi has launched a global initiative ‘Lifestyle for the Environment (LiFE) Movement’.
- 10% ethanol blending ahead of schedule
The target to achieve 10% ethanol blending in petrol was five months ahead of schedule.