CSE Invites Applications for Waste Management Programme Director
Centre for Science and Environment (CSE) is looking for a Programme Director to head its Solid Waste Management (SWM) Programme. The SWM programme at CSE addresses policy and practices for effective and affordable waste management in India and other developing countries. The programme works with national governments to bring out policies that support sustainable solid waste management including plastics and biomedical waste management.
The programme works with several city governments in India and with few key African countries to implement solid waste management projects based on segregation at source and decentralised processing. The programme also runs Forum of Cities that Segregate that provides a platform exchange knowledge and build capacity to achieve effective and affordable waste management in Indian cities.
The candidate is expected to take the lead role in overall research, advocacy and implementation work. In addition, he/she will lead our effort to advocate for policies and practices, particularly in the context of waste management. Major work responsibilities include:
- Managing and monitoring implementation of projects in states and cities.
- Preparing research reports, policy briefs, technical reports, etc.
- Reviewing policy, rules and regulations.
- Writing on issues/developments related to waste management in magazines, newspapers and websites.
- Communicating with government officials at the national and state level.
- Engaging with various stakeholders at the national and state levels to disseminate information and build knowledge/awareness about solid waste management.
- Organise national and state level meetings and workshops and training programmes to improve SWM policies and practices.
- Strong relationship-building skills.
- Excellent programme and team management skills.
- Good interpersonal skills and experience in working effectively in a multi-cultural environment, with sensitivity to diverse opinion.
- Ability to interact with a variety of stakeholders, including government officials, urban local bodies (ULBs), NGOs and communities.
- Understanding of other organizations, groups and individuals in the waste and sanitation sector along with government policies / reforms a good grasp over.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Must be able to communicate in both English and Hindi.
- Must be willing to travel to monitor implementation work.
- Ability to perform and deliver under tight deadlines.
Qualification and Experience
Candidates with a PhD/post graduate in Social Sciences, environmental engineering, waste management, sanitation, planning or any other environment related field with minimum 15 years of work experience. Candidate should have experience of research, advocacy and training. The candidate should be able to work in a tight-knit and dynamic team that works on wide range of issues related to urban waste management. He/she should have strong networking and liaisoning skills, willingness to travel and fluency in both written and spoken English/Hindi.
Salary: Salary will be commensurate with qualification and experience.
Location: New Delhi
Application Deadline: July 17, 2020.
How to apply: Candidates can apply online (preferable) or through post. For applying online, visit http://jobs.cseindia.org and choose PD – SWM.
Applications can be mailed to:
Ms. Jagdeep Gupta
Executive Director- Planning & Operations
Centre for Science and Environment
41, Tughlakabad Institutional Area,
New Delhi – 110062