Design Green Toys and Win Prizes in Toycathon 2021
Toycathon 2021 is being organised by the Government of India to develop India as the global Toy manufacturing hub. Toycathon is a special kind of hackathon to crowdsource ideas for developing toys and games based on Indian culture, ethos, local folklore and Indian value systems. The size of the toy market in India is about one billion USD but unfortunately 80% of the toys are imported. Toycathon is an endeavour to create an ecosystem for the domestic Toy industry and the local manufacturers, after tapping local resources and ideas.
Through the Toycathon 2021 platform, the Government of India is inviting students, teachers, design experts, NGOs, startups and citizens from all walks of life to come up with unique and Indianized design ideas for manufacturing toys. While this will greatly help in making India a global hub for toys and games, it will also help young generation to understand the ethos and values of Indian culture as envisaged in the National Education Policy, 2020.
Toycathon 2021 is based on nine themes and Environment features one among them. The nine themes are:
- Indian Culture, History, Knowledge of India and Ethos;
- Learning, Education and Schooling;
- Social and Human Values;
- Occupations & Specific Fields;
- Fitness and Sport;
- Out of the Box, Creative and Logical Thinking and
- Rediscovering or Redesigning Traditional Indian Toys
Toycathon 2021 has 3 variants of tracks of Junior Level, Senior Level and Start up Level. It allows participation of students and teachers from schools, colleges and universities apart from startups and toy experts. Participants have two options: 1) idea submission; or 2) under novel toy concepts category.
The details of the Environment theme are included below.
- To develop the eco-friendly Smart Home Appliances with decorative showpieces as Toys
- Preparedness for different types of disasters for personal safety and helping others to make evacuation plans
- Exploring the importance of Non-conventional source of energy
- Developing sense of sound discrimination from immediate environment
- Learning segregation of wastes as bio-degradable and non-biodegradable through games or set of toys
- Valuing every life on earth
- Understanding the effects of wind current on weather
Proposals can be submitted online by 20 January, 2021.
Click here to visit the website of Toycathon 2021