Weekly Environmental News Update for Week 08, 2021
Weekly environmental news update from across different media networks for week 08 (February 22 to 28) 2021.
1. Delhi breathes easy as air quality improves to ‘moderate’ category
Delhi NCR pollution level today: Air quality in Delhi stood in the ‘moderate’ category on Sunday, with SAFAR recording an overall AQI of 163
2. NGT directs Delhi Jal Board to ensure supply of treated water in public parks
“The DJB may ensure supply of such treated water with adequate pressure and wherever piped supply is not available, supply may be ensured by tankers,” the bench said.
3. 8 units get closure notices for plastic waste rule violations
A special drive to ensure plastic waste management rules are implemented has started with DPCC sending closure notice to eight units and imposing an environmental compensation of Rs 8.8 lakh.
4. Garbage cafes: Corporation ties up with eateries in Delhi’s Karol Bagh
To manage plastic waste in its area, North Delhi Municipal Corporation has tied up with at least 25 eateries/restaurants as garbage cafes in areas under Karol Bagh zone
5. VLCC Femina Miss Grand India 2020 spreads awareness on menstrual waste management
After a grand homecoming in her hometown Chandigarh, Manika Sheokand, VLCC Femina Miss Grand India 2020, reached Delhi to join the menstrual waste management awareness drive.
6. Number of bird species in Delhi up
The number of bird species has gone up at most of the biodiversity parks in the city compared with last year.
7. Delhi forest dept tells infra agencies how to preserve environment
This workshop was scheduled after the Delhi high court in an order issued on February 10, asked the Delhi government to initiate measures to sensitise agencies to the importance of preserving trees while undertaking civil construction work.
8. Green foot forward: Only e-vehicles for Delhi govt
Delhi government on Thursday decided that all vehicles hired by its departments will switch to electric mode within six months. The step was taken to promote the adoption of electric vehicles by setting an example.
9. DMRC flags off ETO e-rickshaw fleet for last-mile connectivity
DMRC managing director Mangu Singh on Thursday flagged off e-rickshaw services of ETO Motors from Jamia Millia Islamia Metro station to provide first and last-mile connectivity to commuters
10. Draft EIA translation: Don’t take combative stand, Delhi HC tells Centre
“There is that impression that for some reason the Union is resisting very hard that there should be this consultation with those who do not speak Hindi and English…,” said the court.
11. Cannot allow Coal-fired brick kilns to operate in NCR: National Green Tribunal
Coal-fired brick kilns won’t be allowed to operate in the National Capital Region even if zig-zag technology is used and improved procedures are followed during severe pollution.
12. PM Modi to receive CERAWeek global energy and environment leadership award next week
Prime Minister Narendra Modi will receive the CERAWeek global energy and environment leadership award next week in recognition of his commitment to sustainability in the energy and the environment
13. Idea of climate action should not be to move climate ambition goal post to 2050: India at UNSC
Prakash Javadekar said India is the only country on track among the G20 nations to meet its climate change mitigation commitments.
14. US officially rejoins Paris Climate accord, 107 days after it quit
The United States of America has officially re-joined the Paris Climate accord Friday, at least 107 days after it had quit the pact and 30 days after President Joe Biden fulfilled his promise on his first day in office.
With inputs from Kavita.