Weekly Environmental News Update for Week 09, 2021
Weekly environmental news update from across different media networks for week 09 (March 01 to 07) 2021.
- Severity of smogs lower this winter in Delhi-NCR
A new analysis of the winter pollution levels in Delhi-NCR says that while the seasonal average was higher than the previous winter’s, the severity and duration of smog episodes were lower.
- Green score in Delhi hit by persistent poor AQI
Consistent poor air quality have got Delhi 42nd rank in the environment category among 49 cities in a survey conducted by the Union housing and urban affairs ministry for the Ease of Living report.
- SC panel inspects Metro Phase 4 sites to see if trees can be saved
The Supreme Court-constituted Central Empowered Committee on Wednesday conducted the first round of inspections of the Delhi Metro Phase 4 construction, after a petition was filed before the Delhi high court to save over 11,000 trees that are proposed to be felled to make way for the new corridors.
- Ridge board defers Metro’s plans, gives RRTS go-ahead
At its meeting on Friday, the Ridge Management Board gave its approval to the Delhi-Gurgaon-Rewari-Alwar Regional Transit System corridor that will pass through the Aravali Biodiversity Park.
- Reviving Ridge will greatly benefit city air & groundwater, says panel head
Restoring over 400 hectares of the Central Ridge will have an “enormous” impact on Delhi’s air quality and groundwater levels, according to the expert heading the revival project.
- Delhi Among Top 3 States With Most Contaminated Sites: Pollution Board
Delhi stands third on the list of states and Union territories with most contaminated sites, according to the Central Pollution Control Board data.
- NGT directs Delhi chief secy to look into plea alleging pollution by industries in North West Delhi
The green panel said it is for the statutory authorities to continue further steps for enforcement of environmental norms as per law.
- Arvind Kejriwal govt`s innovative ideas helping Delhi to improve groundwater levels
With the relentless efforts of the AAP govt, there has been an improvement in groundwater levels in the Palla region, which have increased by two meters.
- Wetland at Delhi Development Authority park to clean waste water
Delhi’s seventh biodiversity park, which is coming up next to DND Flyway on the Yamuna floodplain, will get a “constructed wetland system” by next month, which will purify the wastewater from nearby residential colonies before it enters the river.
- IIT-Delhi researchers develop technology to recycle e-waste
To deal with one of the fastest growing waste streams, researchers at Indian Institute of Technology, Delhi have developed a zero-emission technology to manage and recycle e-waste to wealth, the institute said on Monday.
- Landfill waste to pave way for road
EDMC plans to construct its first road using legacy municipal waste at a 1 km stretch in Kalyanpuri.
- SDMC issues 153 challans to traders littering in markets, makes fresh push for waste segregation
Action was taken at 100 markets including those at Kalkaji, Amar Colony, Lajpat Nagar, Sarita Vihar
- Allow us to resume mining in Aravalli Hills: Haryana
The Haryana government has appealed to the Supreme Court to permit it to resume mining in the Aravalli Hills on the grounds that the pandemic had grounded the State’s economy to a halt.
- MA, MSc in Environmental Science at GU from 2021-22
The Goa University’s School of Earth, Ocean and Atmospheric Science is all set to launch two new and interlinked Masters Programme in Environmental Science, from the coming academic year 2021-22 onward.
With inputs from Kavita