Weekly Environmental News Update for Week 33, 2021
Weekly environmental news update from across different media networks for Week 33 (Aug 16 to Aug 22) 2021.
- Rs 5L fine on three waste to energy plants over air pollution
At Ghazipur, the team found that levels of dioxins, furans, nitrogen oxide, particulate matter and hydrochloric acid were above permissible limits.
- ‘Extreme weather to be more common, Delhi-NCR must invest in waterbodies’
Extreme weather conditions will become an increasingly common occurrence in Delhi-NCR, say two Indian scientists who contributed to the latest and most exhaustive evidence-based IPCC report.
- Delhi Jal Board sets up floating wetlands to clean lakes
Floating wetlands are foam platforms with plants over the surface of the lake. The wetlands are to come up in around ten lakes as part of the ‘City of Lakes’ project of the DJB.
- Delhi Jal board making efforts to provide 24X7 water, says Jain.
He said that more such plants are being installed around the national capital for augmenting water availability.
- Unique water filter installed to clean Delhi’s Sanjay Van Lake
The Delhi government has installed a unique kind of a filter plant in Sanjay Van Lake, which is around 4,000 umbrella grass species plant on floating rafters set up in the lake.
- Delhi Minister reviews works of water extraction project
The Delhi government is constructing water extraction wells across the national capital to meet the water demand for the ambitious 24×7 Water Supply project.
- Delhi University Sets-up Centre for Himalayan Studies
Centre for Himalayan Studies has been set up by Delhi University to fight climate change and deal with relevant issues in the Himalayas.
- Permission to cut, transplant 6,000 trees for third Ring Road in Delhi
Delhi government has granted permission to National Highways Authority of India to cut and transplant over 6,600 trees for the construction of Urban Extension Road-II, according to a notification by the environment department.
- Paucity of land hits compensatory afforestation plan
Of 136 hectares of non-forest land needed for compensatory afforestation in the last yr, DDA has only been able to provide 116 hectares.
- ‘Electric Vehicle Only’ Zone Launched In Gurgaon; Diesel & CNG Autos Prohibited
The Municipal Corporation of Gurugram will launch 600 e-rickshaws in the city on Monday and put into effect the city’s first electric three-wheelers zone, officials said on Sunday.
- MCG gets nod to store C&D waste on five-acre plot opposite Basai plant
On July 5, the MCG had issued a release stating that they had identified five sites for dumping C&D waste. However, residents protested against the same and moved the National Green Tribunal.
- Delhi-Chandigarh highway becomes India’s first EV-friendly highway
The Union Heavy Industries Minister Dr. Mahendra Nath Pandey inaugurated the country’s very first Solar Electric Vehicle Charging Station at the Karnal Lake Resort on Thursday.
- India to recalibrate air quality standards next year
India is likely to have new national ambient air quality standards in 2022.
- Cabinet nod to Kigali Amendment on cutting down of HFCs
The Union Cabinet has approved the ratification of the Kigali Amendment to the Montreal Protocol on substances that deplete the ozone layer, the ministry of environment said in a press statement on Wednesday.
- What India’s move to cleaner gases means for global climate action plan
The Kigali Amendment to the Montreal Protocol has the potential to avoid 0.5°C of warming of the atmosphere by the end of the century by phasing out hydrofluorocarbons.
- India can do more, hints climate official
New Delhi is on track to overachieve its Nationally Determined Contribution, says head of COP 26.
- Children in India, three other South Asian nations at extremely high risk of climate crisis impacts: UNICEF
Pakistan, Bangladesh, Afghanistan and India are among four South Asian countries where children are at extremely high risk of the impacts of the climate crisis, with a ranking of 14th, 15th, 25th and 26th respectively.
With inputs from Kavita.