Weekly Environmental News Update for Week 46, 2021
Weekly environmental news update from across different media networks for Week 46 (Nov 15 to 21) 2021.
- Delhi: Construction can resume, schools stay shut; truck entry ban extended
The ban on construction and demolition activities, imposed by the Commission for Air Quality Management in National Capital Region and Adjoining Areas, came to an end on Sunday.
- Delhi pollution: Bureaucracy’s ‘inertia’ irks SC
CJI says court will consider prospect of ordering complete shutdown after Nov. 21.
- Sewer line to ensure proper tapping: Delhi Jal Board
As a measure in line with the Clean Yamuna Mission, Delhi Jal Board officials inspected out falling points of the drains from Majnu ka Tilla to Yamuna Bazar and Nigam Bodh BPS.
- COVID-19 pandemic generated eight million tonnes of plastic waste: Study
The research found that a significant portion of this ocean plastic debris is expected to make its way onto either beaches or the seabed within three to four years.
- Flutter files: A step towards conserving Delhi’s biodiversity
The Capital is teeming with diverse species of birds and insects that need to be documented in order to conserve them.
- Smog and Covid-19: Double whammy for NCR birders
With smog-laden air and toxic foam covered waters, this birding season is a health hazard for all, rue birdwatchers in Delhi-NCR.
- Gurugram civic body to clean stormwater drain along Old Delhi-Gurgaon Road
The Municipal Corporation of Gurugram will desilt and clean one-kilometre portion of the stormwater drain along the Old Delhi-Gurgaon Road from next month, said officials.
- Balasore awarded best marine district of India
Balasore was awarded as the best marine district in the country.
- Indore named cleanest city in India for 5th consecutive year
For the fifth time in a row, Madhya Pradesh’s Indore has been ranked India’s cleanest city under the Centre’s annual cleanliness survey.
- DPS Howrah gets Climate Action Project School of Excellence award
Delhi Public School Howrah has got the Climate Action Project School of Excellence award.
- Ganga expressway gets environmental clearance
The Ganga Expressway project was given the environmental clearance, paving the way for the construction of what is being touted as the longest expressway in the country.
- Government panel approves mining on non-forest land without lease clearance
The Union environment ministry’s Forest Advisory Committee has decided to approve mining in non-forest land even before forest clearance is granted.
- Didn’t introduce ‘phase down’ in COP26 statement, clarifies India
India did not introduce the phrase “phase down” in the Glasgow Climate Pact text, senior officials aware of the negotiations at the COP26 said.
- Brazil’s Amazon deforestation surges to worst in 15 years
Before Jair Bolsonaro’s term began in January 2019, the Brazilian Amazon hadn’t recorded a single year with more than 10,000 square kilometers of deforestation in over a decade.