Weekly Environmental News Update for Week 47, 2021
Weekly environmental news update from across different media networks for Week 47 (Nov 22 to 28) 2021.
- Worst Nov for Delhi’s air: 11 ‘severe’ pollution days
November has been the cruellest month this year in Delhi, with 11 days showing severely polluted air on the monitors of Central Pollution Control Board.
- Delhi pollution: Delhi govt revives ban on construction after SC order
Delhi government re-imposed the ban on construction and demolition activities in the city to combat air pollution.
- AQI severe, Delhi among 4 most polluted cities again
Delhi continued to remain among four cities in the country that suffered a ‘severe’ air quality.
- Delhi Jal Board services will now be available online
Delhi Jal Board has also approved the decision to shift all the services of the zonal revenue offices online to smoothen out the existing glitches in the system and make it completely faceless.
- DJB to train staff to handle grievances on social media
With the aim to build a stronger social media grievance redressal mechanism, Delhi Jal Board is going to hold interactive sessions with all its officers on a regular basis and even invite influencers to give tips.
- Concretisation of trees is worst kind of human rights abuse: Delhi HC
A tree census conducted by local residents showed over 450 trees had nails, tree guards, barbed wires etc. in or around them.
- Oppo may enter EV space in India, launch likely 2024: Report
The Oppo electric vehicle may see light of day in India by earlier 2024, as per a report.
- Telangana: NGT panel recommends Rs 2 crore environment compensation
NGT appointed a joint committee recommended Rs 2 crore environmental compensation to be paid by the Telangana Irrigation department.
- Kochi Water Metro project runs into environmental hurdle
The stand adopted by KCZMA has delayed the Water Metro project which is already running behind schedule.
- Rajasthan requests Chhattisgarh to fast-track coal projects, environment groups oppose
Rajasthan asked Chhattisgarh to fast-track the development of its two coal blocks in the state, citing that it would help electricity production in Rajasthan and prevent blackouts.
- Mahanadi Coalfields to set up 50-MW solar plant in Odisha
Mahanadi Coalfields Ltd will set up a 50-megawatt solar power plant in Odisha’s Sambalpur district at a cost of Rs 301.92 crore.
- Scientists discover snail species in Meghalaya cave
The scientists, who recently discovered a new micro snail species with less than 2 mm in length (adult) in a Meghalaya cave, are conducting a study on mollusc across northeast under a mega project.
- Elephant deaths: Loco pilots booked
The forest department registered a case against the loco pilot and the assistant loco pilot of the Mangalore-Chennai Express that mowed down three wild elephants at Navakkarai.
- Canada’s British Columbia feels the effects of climate change
Many Canadians who have been affected by landslides and flooding in British Columbia last week brought on by massive rains, which experts say have been made worse by climate change.
- 94 of world’s 100 most polluted cities are in India, China, Pakistan
Nine out of the top 10 most polluted cities are in India.
- Germany announces €1.2 bn to help India fight climate change
Germany announced new commitments worth more than €1.2 billion, or Rs 10,025 crore, to India to support its fight against climate change.