UN Plant Health Photo Contest for Celebrating IYPH
Healthy plants are a critical resource because of the many ways they support life on Earth. They are the source of the air we breathe, most of the food we eat and natural protectors of the environment. 2020 is also the International Year of Plant Health!
The United Nations is calling on people from all over the world to participate in a photo contest that illustrates their idea of healthy or unhealthy plants. The Photo Contest is part of the celebrations of the International Year of Plant Health (IYPH).
You can submit photos for the photo contest to the following categories:
1. Unhealthy plants
Photographs of pests attacking plants in your area, or those exhibiting damage being caused to plants. Pests are defined as any species, strain or type of plant, animal or pathogen that damage plants or plant products. They include insects, virus, bacteria, nematodes and invasive plants.
2. Healthy Plants – Custodians of our air, food and environment
Photographs that capture the natural beauty of plants and reflect their importance as the source of the air we breathe, our food and as protectors of our environment.
Who can take part?
The Contest is open to both amateur and professional photographers, who have reached the age of 18 at the time of entering the contest and upon acceptance of terms and conditions.
How can you take part?
- Participation is free of charge.
- Entry period began on 2 December 2019 and will close on 15 January 2021.
- Competition is divided into two categories: healthy plants and unhealthy plants.
- Each participant may submit up to five photos.
- File size: Minimum pixel width 3,000 pixels at 150 dpi; Maximum size is 5 MB; jpg format.
- Use an online form completing each of the compulsory fields: name, surname, email, title and caption of the photograph, plant name and short description (for the first category) / plant name along with name and short description of the pest affecting the plant, if applicable (for the second category), location and date when photo was taken. Further description is optional.
- Photos should not contain any dates or text.
Two prizes will be awarded for each category: 1) Healthy Plants, and 2) Unhealthy Plants
First Prize: The winner of each category will be invited to an important plant health event such as the International Plant Health Conference in Helsinki or an event at FAO headquarters (e.g. World Food Day) in 2020. All travel expenses will be covered. He or she will also receive a certificate.
Second Prize: An award of International Plant Protection Convention (IPPC) related photo mission in liaison with the IPPC contact and/or FAO office in closest proximity to the town or country where the winner resides. He or she will also receive a certificate.
Honorable mention and people’s choice: 10 honorable mentions (five per category) and a people’s choice award (voted by social media users) will receive a certificate. Winning photographs and photographers will be featured on FAO, IPPC, IYPH and National Geographic Italia websites and social media channels.
So what are you waiting for!
Click a photo and submit it with a short description by filling out the form at this link.
Click here to submit your photo and participate in the photo contest.