Weekly Environmental News Update for Week 07, 2021
Weekly environmental news update from across different media networks for week 07 (February 15 to 21) 2021.
1. With no dip in pollution, Delhi’s air quality continues to be very poor
SAFAR said air quality is likely to improve from very poor to poor category on 21st Feb thanks to a fresh Western disturbance in Delhi region.
2. “54,000 lives lost in Delhi due to air pollution”
Air pollution claimed approximately 54,000 lives in Delhi in 2020, according to a Greenpeace Southeast Asia analysis of cost to the economy due to air pollution.
3. 5.5 km of Metro Phase-4 line may traverse Ridge, documents show
A section of the Ridge, known as Delhi’s green lung, may be compromised for the construction of a section of the Delhi Metro’s Aerocity-Tughlakabad corridor.
4. Forest guards to be armed, get bikes too in Delhi
After receiving approvals to provide uniforms to all forest rangers and forest deployed around the capital, the forest department says it will soon be arming them as well.
5. 24×7 water soon, will clean Yamuna in 3 years: Delhi CM Kejriwal
Chief minister Arvind Kejriwal also released a video to let people know about the achievements of the Aam Aadmi Party government in the first year of its third term.
6. Water supply back to normal, says Delhi Jal Board after Chamoli impact
DJB vice-chairperson Raghav Chadha on Monday said the water utility has overcome the supply issue. He also visited DJB’s Bhagirathi Water Treatment Plant to take stock of the situation
7. NDMC launches six CNG-based compactors for waste collection
To curb pollution and ensure efficient collection and transportation of household waste, NDMC launched six CNG-based compactors on Thursday and became the first civic body in the city to introduce clean fuel-based garbage collection compactors.
8. Delhi may have found a fix for toxic industrial waste
Delhi’s first treatment, storage and disposal facility will come up in Bawana Industrial Area with a proposal receiving environmental clearance from the Union environment ministry.
9. How a Delhi school for farmers’ children along the Yamuna riverfront won world recognition
The international Beazley Award for Architecture this year was given to a structure that not only questioned permanence in form, but also the right to the city
10. Eyeing variety: Delhi’s Tilpath valley park gets ready to welcome herbivores
Forest officials are attempting to repopulate the Tilpath Valley Biodiversity Park, which was inaugurated in Feb 2018, with animal species. The focus is on chital deer and chinkara gazelle in the first phase
11. “Disha Ravi’s arrest shows Centre in panic mode”
The arrest of climate change activist Disha Ravi shows that the Central government is panicking and mistaking people with anti-government sentiment to be anti-national, according to retired bureaucrats and intellectuals.
12. COP26 president-designate calls on PM Modi
Prime Minister Modi reiterated India’s commitment to the Paris Agreement and to work constructively for the successful outcome at COP26.