Weekly Environmental News Update for Week 20, 2021
Weekly environmental news update from across different media networks for Week 20 (May 17 to 23) 2021.
- Delhi air quality ‘good’ for first time in 2021: Factors behind the improvement
Delhi’s air quality has turned ‘good’ for the first time in 2021 after the heavy rainfall on Wednesday, combined with the lockdown.
- Delhi Pollution: Toxic foam floats on surface of Yamuna River
A thick layer of toxic foam was found floating on the surface of river Yamuna near Delhi’s Kalindi Kunj area. River Yamuna is again overflowing with thick foam of toxic due to high level of pollution in Delhi.
- Plan remedial steps for Bhalswa lake, NGT tells Delhi chief secretary
The principal bench of the Tribunal issued the order on Friday after hearing a plea alleging failure of public authorities to protect the lake from pollution and encroachment.
- More birds and animals make Delhi’s 7 nature parks their homes
Delhi is home to the Yamuna Biodiversity Park, Aravalli Biodiversity Park, Neela Hauz Biodiversity Park, Tilpath Valley Biodiversity Park, Northern (Kamala Nehru) Ridge, Tughlaqabad Biodiversity Park, and Kalindi Biodiversity Park.
- Due to regular waterlogging, Delhi’s Minto Bridge to get an independent drainage system
This is the first time a permanent solution to rid the area of heavy waterlogging is in the works.
- NGT directs Env Ministry to revisit clearance for development of poultry market adjacent to Ghazipur mandi
The NGT directed the Environment Ministry to revisit the Environmental Clearance granted for the development of ‘Modern Poultry and Egg Market’ adjacent to Ghazipur mandi.
- Kerala farmer bags India Biodiversity Award 2021
Shaji .N.M., fondly called as ‘Tuber Man’ of Kerala has been awarded the India Biodiversity Award 2021 in the individual category of ‘Conservation of domesticated species’.
- IISER Bhopal scientists discover new species of African Violet plant from Mizoram
Researchers at the Indian Institute of Science Education and Research, Bhopal have discovered a new plant species belonging to the African Violets family in Mizoram and adjacent areas in Myanmar.
- 20 firms responsible for 55% of global plastic waste
The Plastic Waste Makers index is a one-of-a-kind study that tracks the journey of plastic through the entire supply chain beginning with the manufacturers of single-use plastic raw material.
- Arabian Sea likely to see increase in cyclones due to global warming, say experts
According to experts, global warming is increasing the temperature of the Arabian Sea, making it more prone to cyclones.
- Amul pays tribute to environmentalist Sunderlal Bahuguna
Environmentalist Sunderlal Bahuguna, a founding member of the tree-hugging Chipko movement in the 1970s to prevent their felling, died of Covid-19.
- Suneeta Rao pledges support to climate with single ‘Vaada Karo’
Pop singer Suneeta Rao returns with a new track titled “Vaada karo”, which highlights climate change and urges listeners to work at saving the environment.
With inputs from Kavita.