Weekly Environmental News Update for Week 36, 2021
Weekly environmental news update from across different media networks for Week 36 (Sep 06 to Sep 12) 2021.
- Delhi govt to ready winter pollution plan by Sept 30
The Delhi government is preparing a 10-point winter action plan to combat air pollution in the national capital, Delhi environment minister Gopal Rai said.
- Delhi gets second smog tower at Anand Vihar
Even before the city’s first large smog tower near Connaught Place begins fully functioning, its twin was inaugurated at Anand Vihar.
- Stubble burning, air pollution on agenda as Delhi environment minister chairs key meet today
Delhi environment minister Gopal Rai has called a high-level meeting on September 9 to discuss a strategy to deal with stubble burning and pollution in the city in winter.
- Heavy rains in Delhi break 46-year record for monsoon; Airport forecourt, key roads waterlogged
Record heavy rains lashed many parts of the National Capital, making it the wettest monsoon season in 46 years and causing extensive waterlogging.
- 25k complaints on Green Delhi app in a year
The Green Delhi app, which was launched in October last year for addressing pollution-related complaints, has received over 25,500 complaints so far and 93% of them have been resolved.
- Centre sets up panel to assess environmental impacts of projects in Delhi
The Union environment ministry has constituted a State Level Environment Impact Assessment Authority to evaluate projects in the city, a move that Delhi ministers said will make it easier to handle applications in the city.
- First leopard spotted during Asola sanctuary census
A leopard has been sighted in the Asola wildlife sanctuary, the first camera trap image of the animal captured as part of the ongoing leopard census being carried out by the Delhi forest department in the sanctuary area.
- Gurugram: 250 acres of Aravali land encroached, finds drone survey
A drone survey conducted by the forest department has revealed that violators have encroached on around 250 acres of forest area in the city.
- Air quality ‘improved’ in 104 cities in 2020, says Environment Minister
Environment Minister Bhupender Yadav said that the number of cities with “improved air quality” had increased to 104 in 2020 from 86 in 2018 and attributed this to policies of the government.
- Rainfall recorded in August lowest in 12 years, says IMD
Rainfall in August, which recorded 24% deficiency, was lowest in 12 years, the India Meteorological Department said.
- Course on Saraswati river at Kurukshetra University from 2022-23
A new course on the Saraswati river will be taught at Kurukshetra University under the New Education Policy in the upcoming academic session of 2022-23.
- African Cheetahs to be experimentally introduced in India in the next 4-6 months
Cheetahs from Namibia and South Africa are likely to reach too India in the next four to six months, and be reintroduced in Kuno national park in Madhya Pradesh, Union environment ministry officials have confirmed.
- World’s largest plant capturing carbon from air starts in Iceland
The world’s largest direct air carbon capture and storage plant has started operating in Iceland, run by Swiss company Climeworks.