Weekly Environmental News Update for Week 45, 2021
Weekly environmental news update from across different media networks for Week 45 (Nov 8 to 14) 2021.
- Delhi Air Pollution: All Govt Offices To Operate From Home, Schools Shut For A Week
The announcement comes hours after Supreme Court took a serious view of the severe air pollution in Delhi-NCR.
- ‘Declare two-day lockdown if need be’: SC to Centre on Delhi air pollution
Supreme Court suggests 2-day lockdown in Delhi to bring down air pollution.
- ‘Fashion to blame farmers’: SC pulls up Delhi govt over air pollution crisis
Supreme Court said that blaming the farmers for poor air quality has “become a fashion”.
- Delhi govt comes up with five-point plan to combat local sources of pollution
Delhi government announced a five-point plan to provide some relief from the high-pollution levels prevailing over the Capital.
- Dust and smoke from farm fires in deadly cocktail
The estimates are from the Indian Institute of Tropical Meteorology’s decision support system.
- Water supply in Delhi hit as Yamuna’s ammonia levels rise
Treatment and pumping of water from five out of eight treatment plants in the city have been affected, resulting in a massive disruption of supply.
- Delhi govt installs bamboo barricades, sprinkles water to remove Yamuna froth
Government deployed boats were seen cleaning up toxic foam that has been floating on the Yamuna for the past few days in parts of Delhi.
- Delhi To Launch Month-Long Campaign Against Waste Burning From November 11
A campaign to prevent open burning of waste and biomass will be launched in Delhi.
- SDMC to set up plastic waste processing units
The South Delhi Municipal Corporation (SDMC) approved the setting up of automated plastic waste processing facilities at multiple locations under its jurisdiction.
- Delhi: Deadline passes, waste segregation remains on paper in several areas
Welfare associations and residents of localities such as Chandni Chowk, Wazirpur, Model Town, Rana Pratap Bagh, Gandhi Nagar, Krishna Nagar, New Ashok Nagar said they haven’t been segregating waste.
- Meet Vihan and Nav, Indian brothers who won International Children’s Peace Prize for waste project
Vihaan and Nav Agarwal have developed the ‘One Step Greener’ initiative segregating recyclables and organising pickups for trash from thousands of homes.
- Among world’s 10 most polluted cities, 3 are from India
While Delhi tops the list with an average AQI of 556 as listed by the IQAir service, Kolkata ranks fourth and Mumbai sixth in the entire list.
- National security, environment must be balanced, says Supreme Court
The Supreme Court said it cannot turn a blind eye to the troop build-up and augmentation of infrastructure by China on India’s border.
- Delivering piped 24X7 water supply to top of world
Government engineers and contractors have connected 12 of Leh’s 60 villages with 24X7 piped water connection in the cold desert under the flagship Jal Jeevan Mission.
- Noida most polluted for second day, AQI in Ghaziabad still ‘severe’
Taking initiative to clean the city air, Uttar Pradesh Pollution Control Board recommended a cumulative fine of Rs 65.5 lakh on eight polluters on Saturday.
- Green activism: Mangroves restored in coastal Andhra
An affidavit filed by GMR Energy explains the restoration work taken up under the supervision of Andhra Pradesh Maritime Board in Coringa Wildlife Sanctuary in Kakinada.
- Punjab: ₹10.32 lakh fine imposed in Amritsar for stubble burning this year
Amritsar DC said that stubble burning incidents have come down by 19% this year in the district as compared to 2020.
- A Greenfield airport’s green challenge
In Jewar, the wealth of wildlife and wetlands will soon concretise for India’s newest international airport.
- Meet Padma Shri Tulasi Gowda, the barefoot environmentalist known as ‘Encyclopedia of Forest’
Tulasi Gowda, a 72-year-old tribal woman from Karnataka, was conferred the Padma Shri award on Monday for her contribution to the protection of the environment.
- MS Dhoni Places the Environment First with His First-ever Green Fashion Endorsement
MS Dhoni has been roped in by men’s brand Indian Terrain to create awareness about sustainable clothing.
- Climate deal struck at COP26 with coal compromise pushed by India
India intervenes to water down language on cutting emissions from coal.